School Board Member Ethics
Each member of the Governor Wentworth Regional School Board shall comply with the following ethical provisions:
- Attend all regularly scheduled board meetings, insofar as possible, and become informed concerning issues to be considered at those meetings.
- Become well acquainted with state laws and state board regulations pertaining to education and support their enforcement.
- Accept office as a board member as a means of unselfish service.
- Represent the entire district without favor to any particular segment.
- Abstain from the discussion, voting or any attempt to influence the outcome of a public bidding process, contract negotiation or any other service related contract whereby he/she would have a financial or personal interest.
- Make decisions only after full discussion at public board meetings; render all decisions based on the available facts and reasoned independent judgment; and refuse to surrender that judgment to individuals or special interest groups.
- Remember at all times that the board member is one of a team and that the statutory authority extended to a board must be exercised by the board as a corporate body.
- Recognize that no individual member has authority to speak or act for the entire board, except as specifically designated to do so by board action.
- Regardless of any differences of opinion, treat all other members of the board in a courteous, respectful, and professional manner to insure the reasonable performance of board responsibilities.
- Maintain open lines of communications with the superintendent of schools and other members of the GWRSD community.
- Recognize that final board actions will be supported by all members of the board; take no private action that will compromise the board or administration; and refrain from private actions which undermine or compromise official board action.
- Delegate executive functions to the superintendent and confine board action to policy making, planning, and appraisal.
- Respect the confidentiality of information that is privileged under applicable law or is received in confidence or executive session.